The Two-Source Essay
Example Student Essays
Student Developed Topics
1. Who’s to blame that we’re moving away from TE.
2. How important is “passing the test”… (should be? What test? ACT? GPA?)
3. How important is it to be well rounded?
4. How much should teachers prepare kids for tests? (which tests? ACT? Finals?)
5. Should there be different educations for different kind of people? (different “true education”) (how you learn…)
6. What role should higher ed play in finding a job?
7. How can educational progress be accurately measured?
8. What should qualifications be for different teachers? (Singleton… )
9. Do peers have an influence on a person’s ability to be educated? (Reuben)
10. Is “making citizens” a concrete/appropriate goal?
11. What role should competition play in education?
12. How important is HW?
13. Should there be “visual classes” “kinesthetic classes” (Howard Gardner)
14. How much “desire to learn” is necessary for kids to achieve a true education.. (what is enough?)
15. Should we allow students to decide HOW MUCH they want to learn?
16. How much of education should be devoted to NOT book smart?
17. How can teachers/parents make students want to learn?